Share |

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Friendly, Cosmic Centrifuge

Alright people. Most of you have at least heard about meditation. Some of you have even done it.

If you're like most of us, you've tried it and it doesn't really seem to do much or you find your mind wandering and pondering and it seems sort of futile.

Well, I'm here to tell you that it is magical and wonderful and you must do this.

Just show up and do it. Find your style, whether it's just observing your breath, using a mantra or some other ancient or modern style, do it.

For those of you new to this, here are the four different categories of meditation, according to meditationtypes.com:
  1. Focused on Concentration - this means basically focusing your attention on one object only. Totally concentrating on it. For example, concentrating on the flame of a candle, or simply focusing on your breath. See my Concentration example
  2. Focused on Generation (generative meditation). This type of meditation helps you meditate to achieve a state of loving kindness by using your memory, your imagination and the sensations of your body.
  3. Focused on Receptivity (receptive meditation). This means basically becoming receptive to any experience arising. An example of this is the zen meditation, zazen.
  4. Focused on Reflection (reflective meditation). This meditation type involves constantly focusing on an object, but also being aware to whatever emotions, feelings and sensations come forth from the experience. Meditation on the qualities of the Buddha is a good example of this.
Also worth noting, and also from meditationtypes.com, the three principles that form meditation:
  1. To be able to concentrate, we need to focus on one thing or object at a time.
  2. As soon as our thoughts start to wander, we gently bring them back to our focus object.
  3. During meditation, we need to ignore any distracting, irrelevant thoughts and sensations.
Today, I woke up, ate a few raw eggs and then did my workout which consisted of 4 sets of plyometric exercises which consist of a series of interval jump squats, lunges, deep, side-stepping wide crab squats, side-stepping knee lifts, front kick with a torso-twist, and dynamic push-ups in between sets. Each exercise is done for 30 seconds followed by a 30 second rest (hence the interval training). Afterward I did 20 minutes of hill training on a stationary bike and I ended with the Tibetan Five. Afterward I ate a little raw yogurt with honey and raspberries and did my hypnosis. More on that later, but basically I recorded my own voice doing a hypnosis that just came to me one night. It lasts about ten minutes and is centered around replacing irritation with gratitude and realizing how balanced everything truly is in my life (and in the universe)....

Finally, we get to the meditation!

After my self-hypnosis, I meditated. I set my alarm for 25 minutes and just focused on my breath. Whether it was one or ten minutes into the meditation, I cannot say, I only know that for the majority of the meditation, I experienced what I can only describe as a some sort of energetic spinning sensation.

Have you ever been drunk where you feel like the world is spinning? Or experienced vertigo or light-headedness when you stood up too quickly?

Well, that's what this felt like, only there were no negative connotations like with the aforementioned afflictions.

At first it just felt like I was spinning (but without nausea and without fear). Clockwise, I think. Then it felt like the outer part of me (or the field around me since it extended beyond my bod) was spinning clockwise, and the inner part was spinning counter-clockwise. This is all parallel to the ground at this point. As I sat with that and just sort of enjoyed the sensation, it shifted. Suddenly I was still spinning with my inside and outside going in counter-directions, but the direction was limitless. Like some sort of friendly cosmic centrifuge, I felt limitless and expansive. It was very cool.

The whole experience was quite pleasant.

I'd love to hear from you to learn if you've ever heard of or experienced anything like this or if you can tell me what this sort of apparatus is called because I couldn't find it online but I swear it exists...outside of my meditative cosmic centrifuge, that is.

Be well and meditate!
 Follow 
StrandMusic 
on Twitter

More Interesting Katie Strand World Post
New Music
&
Posts 
at
Katie Strand 
Music

No comments:

Post a Comment