Share |

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The One-Minute Happiness Quiz

My new friend Ray Sahelian told me about his book and quiz, so I thought I'd share it on my blog. Let me know how you come out and what you think.

One side note. Our happiness and mood can vary, but will typically be in a range so if you have a number that you'd like to raise, see what you can do in the next few days to create more happy-producing behaviors and patterns.

For example, in the past I had a tendency to get irritated with Marcus when he was running late when we have a meeting together. This happened yesterday, and I felt the familiar irritation rising. So I took myself aside, mentally and spiritually, and said, "just try to be calm and happy about how you talk to Marcus and help both of us get ready to leave. Just try it out and see how it goes." Well, it worked. Instead of being irritated and impatient, I just watched my breathing and got myself ready to go. I was happier and Marcus... well Marcus is usually pretty happy irregardless of what's going on around him; but it certainly raised my happiness quotient yesterday. (By the way, I often use the word try when I talk to myself because it provides less argument fodder for the ego. In other words, try is harder for my ego to fight against; it helps my ego acquiesce.) Today's a new day. I played volleyball this morning in the drizzling pseud-rain and it kind of put me in a funk. So today my strategy is to pamper myself a little as a reward for playing my regularly scheduled volleyball class (instead of skipping). I'm off to do that. Relax. Breathe. Pamper. Simple, but they seem to raise my feelings of joy and happiness.

Take the quiz today and then start looking at how you behave, respond, and act in certain situations; see if you can try something else. See if you can raise your number.

The One-Minute Happiness Quiz 

Circle a number in each category. The higher, the truer.
  1. I have a healthy personality with high self-esteem, strong willpower, and a positive attitude. 1 2 3 4 5
  2. I feel connected with and have loving relationships with family, pets, friends, spouse, or lover. 1 2 3 4 5
  3. Old or new emotional wounds have healed. I harbor no grudges. 1 2 3 4 5
  4. I have meaningful goals that I'm passionately pursuing. 1 2 3 4 5
  5. Work (and/or school) is satisfying. 1 2 3 4 5
  6. I am financially secure. 1 2 3 4 5
  7. I have many interests and pleasures. 1 2 3 4 5
  8. I am physically healthy, I exercise, sleep well, eat well, and have low stress. 1 2 3 4 5
  9. I enjoy learning and acquiring knowledge. Furthermore, I use my creative talents. 1 2 3 4 5
  10. I have a personal truth or belief system that provides a meaning to my life. 1 2 3 4 5

    Score: Total _________
    Quiz score interpretation:




    10-15 Double your Prozac dose*
    16-25 There's room for improvement
    26-35 Very good. You can learn to be happier.
    36-49 Congratulations. Consider writing your own book on happiness.
    50       Incredible! Hold on to something. You may be levitating at any moment. 
     
    *I do believe our friend Dr. Sahelian is being a little sarcastic with 10-15.







Follow 
StrandMusic 
on Twitter


More Interesting Katie Strand World Posts
New Music
&
Posts 
at
Katie Strand 
Music

No comments:

Post a Comment