Share |

Thursday, April 8, 2010

My Addendum to "Choose a Job You Love..."

Confucius is credited with many wise and sometimes humorous expressions. One of my favorites is, Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

(It's worth noting that my first exposure to Confucius was my father saying, Confucius say, don't pee into the wind. I don't even know if that's a real Confucianism! Thanks, Dad, for many things but especially, being a major influence on my sense of humor!)


Most anyone over the age of twenty-five knows that, while the Confucianism above is right-on, the application is sometimes...more complicated. I love story-telling and two branches of that for me are music (all aspects including writing, playing and performing), and film-making. I choose these two things as my primary professions because a) I've been singing since age three and playing piano since age five! But music was somewhat unreliable about making steady income so I needed a second thing so I choose b) film-making, which we'll use as a general term to include all aspects of television, film and commercial production, since I've worked in all three bastard-children of the film business. My professional life has been some blend of these two things for the past 8 years or so.

But as I've gotten older, I've realized that while the aforementioned vocations do fulfill certain needs in me, sometimes, especially with film-making, I just don't feel like it. Coincidentally, when I don't feel like it usually coincides with when I'm doing logistical work in film-making, but it has caused me to reassess.

I suppose what's happened is that I want to help people more than film-making or music has allowed me to. I suppose any profession has the potential to help people, and maybe I'm in the process of parlaying these two vocations into more benevolent acts, still...it's led me to explore other things. In 2008 I got a master's degree in Spiritual Psychology. I'm in the process of being a certified Hypnotherapist. I'm working on a relationship book and supporting Marcus on writing his book. I'm taking classes. Again.

But what's the moral here? Well, I suspect that even if I found something that I absolutely loved to do that also made me enough money where I didn't have to think of or do another... I still might be taking classes and seeing what else I could do. I suspect that's just me.

When I was younger, I felt like this was a liability. I felt more restless in my constantly-seeking-Susan-ness. Now, I kind of like it. Though I've made some modifications. I've found that if I keep it to three, my holy trinity of sorts, things go better. What that looks like, is me focusing on three main things and not allowing other interests or distractions to pull me off-course (as they often did in my younger days). So my holy trinity right now is: Music; Writing (blog & book); and Hypnotherapy. The beach volleyball, film-making, martial arts, cooking and spiritual coaching are all fun and enjoyable, but they're in support of the big three. For financial reasons I look for and take extra film work when I need extra money, and I plan on parlaying music, writing and potentially hypnotherapy into television shows that are entertaining, creative and support people living more fulfilled lives. (Creative ideas still in development, and probably not all three in the same show. Though what a trip that would be!).

So what's the addendum to the Confucianism, Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life?

How about Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life... Also, stay curious and open. What you love may shift and grow...



More Interesting Katie Strand World Posts

New Music
&
Posts 
at
Katie Strand 
Music

No comments:

Post a Comment