Share |

Monday, March 8, 2010

My Favorite Shows on Television...or how David Duchovney & Jesus are likely Good In Bed!

This will be a recurring blog, sort of like My Favorite Things blogs. This is just my first installment, so...

The very first winners of
My Favorite Shows are...
(drum roll "The Giggle goes to...")


Wait. Before I announce the winners of My Favorite Shows, allow me to first express my criterion for My Favorite Shows:


My Favorite Shows Criterion:
  • Funny, thoughtful & entertaining. I must be amused and entertained during the show & in retrospect. Any show that makes me laugh hours after I've watched it while simply remembering a scene or line from the show, is a great show in my book. If I'm not laughing, the show should pop into my memory somehow...in a good way. The show should also be conversation worthy (thoughtful). Basically it should stay with us after the viewing is over. (But not in the annoying I have a song stuck in my head kind of way.)
  • Clever writing - when I pause viewing to reiterate the line, or quote the show later, that's good writing. Characters who are supposed to be intelligent or genius should be 100% believable as a genius in their proclaimed field of expertise. Also, I love unexpected asides and semi-throw-away lines that hit a funny nerve or are quote-worthy. One more point on the genius note, genius characters are quite simply, hot. Not to mention intriguing and usually flawed in their genius. Love shows with believable genius characters.
  • Good acting. Simply put, the characters must be believable as they are. Do you buy this person as a doctor, spy, show-runner, genius, people-reader/expert, vampire-f%#ker/telepath, fire-fighter, writer, etc? If I ever question it, the show won't make my list.
  • High production-value. Excellent cinematography, editing, and where applicable, special-effects and fight-scenes. This doesn't make lower-budget shows ineligible, it just means they must compose their shots and edit well, to make sure we their viewing audience don't get distracted by poor production value.
So, once again, for real this time, the very first winners of
My Favorite Shows
are...

(drum roll "The Giggle goes to...")



Californication
&
30 Rock



Here's why:

Californication. Maybe David Duchovney is basically playing himself. Maybe the writers made some deal with the devil. Maybe I just have the biggest crush (albeit a shameful, late-night crush on a man-whore) on David Duchovney's character Hank Moody. I'd use protection. But I'd bet my first born that he's good in bed. Hank Moody and Jesus. Definitely both good lays. But I digress. Californication is fantastic for the writing, acting and especially for it's irreverence. I give it top marks. My favorite new word creation from Californication, by the way, is broner, a clever portmanteau combining brother or bro with the ever popular erection synonym boner to make broner. Not for the gay necessarily, but simply a term for when, as a guy, you're so impressed or admiring of another guy, you have (drum roll) a broner for him. Brilliant.

30 Rock. Blurg! What the what! Son of a! Nerd! I want to go to there. Eat my pooh! All expletives or lines used by Liz Lemon (played by Tina Fey) in a show that actually deserves all the Emmys and critical acclaim it has received. Tina Fey is so believable as this character I often forget she's the writer/creator of this show, instead of the reluctantly lovable and fallible Liz Lemon. Anyone who doubts the brilliance of this show should just check their roster of guest stars. Believe me, Oprah Winfrey, Carrie Fisher, Alan Alda, Edie Falco, Steve Martin, Megan Mullally, Paul Reubens, Isabella Rossallini, and Calvin Klein are selective about the shows they make guest appearances on, and 30 Rock is one I suspect they chose to guest on with little deliberation. I'd be a guest if I could. Faster than I'd bed Jesus. Well, almost. Major props to Tina Fey. Your Sarah Palin impersonation is outdone only by this genius show.


Stay tuned for more. And please, if you haven't already, check the aforementioned shows out on dvd. They're super fun to watch over a week or so. Plus you'll find out what the fuss is all about.


What the what!


More Interesting Katie Strand World Posts

New Music
&
Posts
at
Katie Strand Music




No comments:

Post a Comment