Share |

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The smallest non-child, non-midget person I've ever seen

Years ago a friend of mine at the time brought me to the Del Mar Fairgrounds to go to the horse races.

A virgin horse-race-goer, I do believe it's something everyone should experience once in their lives. Horse races are their own microcosm: the women in their outfits and hats, the horse race devotee with or without a side-serving of gambling problem, the kids, the men doing their meetings, the smell, the betting windows, the horses, the jockeys.

The jockeys.

I was fortunate enough to see one up close. Now I've come into contact with circus and acrobat performers, professional musicians, famous and semi-famous film and television actors, engineers, lawyers, doctors, pro and semi-pro athletes, professional wrestlers (both big and midget wrestlers) navy seals, and martial arts experts, even someone who did horse shows as a teenager. I know or have met all of the above and more, but I've never really met a jockey. They seem to stay in the equestrian world and socialize primarily with each other. Am I wrong? Does anyone out who is not in the equestrian scene know a jockey? The best I've done is my life is to get up close enough to realize how short and trim they are. Now let me just say that I mean no disrespect. Besides feeling giant with my five-foot-eight stature, with an additional three inches of heels that day, the main thing I felt was surprise at how small he was up close in contrast to me, the other people and of course the horse, and also awe. What a seriously powerful and dedicated athlete in such a small package. I've seen horse-racing live and read Seabiscuit and I remember with vivid detail the strength, stamina, power and fear-overcoming it takes to be a jockey. But of all sports, it seems to be the only one that  requires very small weight, stature and bone structure in order to do the sport. (Reportedly there are no height limitations, but you try being 5'8", strong and fit, and stay under the Kentucky Derby's 126 pound weight limit. Most reportedly try to stay around 114 pounds. Some are actually tall and super lean, but it seems most are short, lean with very low body fat, and sometimes, unfortunately, eating disorders. Source: AnswerBag)

Well this guy was the smallest non-child man I have ever seen.

Reportedly, being a jockey requires hovering in a squat position above the most massive, moving, muscular and somewhat unpredictable creature, while racing at super-high speeds mixed up with all these other massive, moving, muscular and unpredictable creatures vying to be the front of the pack. (No, I don't mean the gambling men trying to place their bets. The horses!) So not only is it physically very difficult, it's very dangerous as many jockeys take falls in their careers. According to wikipedia

Horse racing is a sport where jockeys may incur permanent, debilitating, and even life-threatening injuries. Chief among them include concussion, bone fractures, arthritis, trampling, and paralysis. Jockey insurance premiums remain among the highest of all professional sports.
On that day, years ago, at the Del Mar Fairgrounds, I got up close to a real, life-size (which actually means miniature) jockey. Here's how. My friend's cousin (I sound like the girl in Ferris Bueller) was the horse-trainer of one of the horses running that day. I decided to bet on the horse, called Show Me the Moolah, because my friend's cousin was the trainer. Well, Show Me the Moolah won that day. I got to go into the winner's circle with my friend, his cousin, the horse, the jockey, and about a dozen other people. I have the picture somewhere.

Anyway, it was a pretty cool experience. Writing this helps me remember how lucky I am. My first day at the horse races I actually won money (about $50 - guess I should've bet more), and got into the winner's circle. Nice.

Someday I'll go to the Kentucky Derby. Definitely on my bucket list.

The Kentucky Derby. With all those massive, moving, muscular and unpredictable creatures. Horses too. And of course, the jockeys. Someday I'll post a photo and blog about my day at The Kentucky Derby.





More Interesting Katie Strand World Posts
New Music
&
Posts 
at
Katie Strand 
Music

No comments:

Post a Comment