Share |

Thursday, March 4, 2010

The One-Date-Wonders!

What's with the One-Date-Wonders?

I'm not sure anyone has referred to guys (or girls - whatever your preference) as one-date wonders, but that's what I'm dubbing them.

Now I've been in a relationship now for about a year, and by evidence of him still being around, my beau Marcus is not a One-Date-Wonder. For clarification purposes (and hopefully comic relief), I will henceforth refer to all dates prior to or Before Marcus as BM (which, by happy coincidence, is also the abbreviation for Bowel Movement... because while I truly dated some fabulous guys, there was also at times a bit of shit going on that doesn't exist with my current situation. Furthermore, for everything after Marcus, which is pretty much Marcus and anyone I might choose to flirt, dine or have extracurriculars with (only with Marcus' knowledge & blessing, of course) is AM for After Marcus, and because it's like the start of a brand new day.

Anyway, back to One-Date-Wonders. Some guys are fantastic on the first date. My theory here is that they go into job interview mode or something. They start out really strong, but then, once things get going...once they have to consistently perform, and believe me, by perform I don't mean "stay hard" I mean perform in the holistic sense of the word, because it takes more than just staying hard to be a good partner - in bed and otherwise. But I digress...where was I? Oh, yeah. Once they have to perform on a regular basis, they loose the wind in their sails. They don't connect like they did that first date, they don't communicate the way they did before. The chemistry just isn't the same. The whole thing literally loses steam. WTF happened? Well I'm calling guys with this syndrome One-Date-Wonders.

One of my favorite of these One-Date-Wonder, BM guys was a guy a few years back. Let's call him Chad. He was tall, handsome, my type (my type=some blend of or somewhere between Gerard Butler, Bruce Lee, that Mohinder guy from Heroes, and Denzel Washington). Anyway, Chad happened to be on the tall, East-Indian (which tells you his name wasn't really Chad) side of my persuasion. Lovely man. So, we went on date one, and we had a pretty good time. Good chemistry, we had fun, he seemed smart enough...

But then once the second date rolled around, it seemed he had nothing left. Now I take responsibility here for my part in this. I might’ve had some blinders on because he seemed such a good fit (according to my mental image of the guys I’m attracted to), so I own up to that. But what happened on the second date was this: It fell flat. The chemistry had peaked on the first date (which was a bummer because there was no/never any consummation - though I suppose ultimately that was good because that might’ve made things worse), and he used all of his interview skills on date one. By date two, he was talking about how much he loved sparking water, and about how this jewelry business he was starting was going to be the thing to make him rich. Yawn.

Now I’m not a girl to give up easily, so I tried. I really did. When we fooled around a little after the second date (which was a very innocent, teen-age-like, horizontal version of kissing), I tried to turn off my brain. I really did. But it didn’t work. And for me, it’s never a good sign when I want a guy to shut the f&%k up when we’re fooling around. Never. A. Good. Sign.

So that was it for that tall, One-Date-Wonder, hunk of a tan man. Share your favorite One-Date-Wonder experience by leaving a comment. I'd love to hear from you.

By the way, Marcus, since we’re currently in (and plan to be in) AM for a very extended period of time, let me just state for the record that Marcus is the ideal combination of the aforementioned men in my type tirade above... We both agree he may not have the height we’d both like, but what he lacks in vertical stature, he makes up for in so...

many...

other...

ways.

Plus, Bruce Lee wasn’t actually all that tall.





More Interesting Katie Strand World Posts


New Music
&
Posts
at
Katie Strand Music

No comments:

Post a Comment