Share |

Monday, May 24, 2010

Qi Pao! My hips in China.

In 2006 I traveled to China for a documentary film I was producing. We worked the majority of the month that we were there, but we did get about 3 days off, if memory serves.

During one of those days off, I went into the fabric district of Shanghai with my good friend and mandarin-speaker Violet. Not only do we have fun shopping together, but I needed a translator to communicate with the Chinese tailors who were going to measure me for the Qi Pao I was designing.

There was no chance that I could buy a Qi Pao off the rack. Women in China are not built like I am. My hips are there. Really there. Chinese women, no disrespect intended, must have a hard time carrying children on their hip because the children would just slip off. Whoop! No hips! I wonder if they have to unhinge to give birth.

Apparently the minimal hips are celebrated in China.

The women measured me for my Qi Pao. Everywhere. When they got to my waist, they measured, then moved to my hips and measured. Then they did it again. And again. All the while they were chattering in mandarin. I didn't  know exactly what they were saying, but like Elaine in Seinfeld, I knew they were talking shit. At the time, Violet said, "they're just making sure they have the right measurements."

Later, when I asked Violet again what they were saying, she told me the truth.

According to Violet, they said something along the lines of, "Her waist is so small, but her hips are so big. It's really unfortunate."

Unfortunate! These hips are not unfortunate! Just ask any of my old boyfriends or Marcus!

But it just goes to show you, body shape, body size, body style, everything about how we look and our bodies is subjective based on culture and the time period we're in. In the past being overweight was a sign of wealth and opulence, because it meant you could afford the most and the best foods. Being tan used to be a sign of being poor and a laborer, but now it's (mostly) a sign that a person has leisure time to lounge in the sun. Supposedly, women in Bali used to be more marriage-worthy if they were zaftig (defined as: having a pleasantly plump figure; full-bodied; well-proportioned) and that has only changed since they've had access to western television and entertainment. The modeling world seems overrun with super-skinny, no-hip-having, size zero women. Have you ever hugged or had sex with women who are this little? No offense intended, but they seem a bit breakable and not very cuddle-friendlly. Though if you like that sort of thing, dive on in. And what about the trend of large, implant-breasts? In Los Angeles and Vegas alike, it seems like 8 out of 10 women have fake breasts. It makes me miss seeing real, big and small alike, breasts on women strutting their stuff and owning their natural beauty. Don't get me wrong, I love healthy, fit bodies, but it's so inspiring to see a woman owning her body's natural beauty. You know what I'm talking about, right? Those women who walk around enjoy the way it feels to be in their skin. There is no surgery, no implant, that is as beautiful, expensive, or profound as a happy, confident woman.

But it does make me wonder, what physical feature will be the virtue-du-jour in the future? Will breast implants go the way of foot-binding? Or corsets? Time has shown that the ideal beauty changes. We might as well step into enjoying ourselves as we are. From there, from that place of self adoration, make choices and take action towards being healthier and more fit. If we come at it from a place of dislike, we are fighting against ourselves.

That's all for today. Later I'll be sitting by a pool, giving my body the gift of sun and vitamin D (until I umbrella myself after about 30 minutes of sun-exposure) and enjoying my body. I still have to remind myself to love my body as it is, because I too can be critical sometimes. The key for me is to remember how much my body as gotten me through. How amazing and supportive it has been through all of my life's ups and downs, adventures and misadventures. Think about how well your body has recovered from injury or soreness. The human body is amazing.

I have a freckle on the bottom of my right foot. It's super cute. The little soft spot on my lower belly works really well as a pillow for Marcus. I also sometimes rest my hands there (almost like our friend Al Bundy), when I'm watching TV just because it feels good. My hips look like curvy landscape when I'm lying on my side. My legs are strong and muscular and look good in shorts and skirts. Both my hips and legs may provide a challenge when getting slacks or jeans to fit me properly, but ultimately, they carry me well.

Go! Enjoy your body. Appreciate your body. Adore your body. It's yours. No one else's. What better reason is there than that?

Those Chinese seamstress women, they don't know.

Follow 
StrandMusic 
on Twitter


More Interesting Katie Strand World Posts
New Music
&
Posts 
at
Katie Strand 
Music

No comments:

Post a Comment