Share |

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Chop Wood, Carry Water, Do Taxes

I'm still in the middle of doing my taxes for 2009, or more accurately, processing my expenses since I have a tax guy actually do my taxes - well worth the $100 he charges as he's a retired accountant but he still processes taxes for people for extra money during tax season. Anyway, I still do my own compiling and calculating of my expenses which looks like going through a pile of receipts, taping them up, which means taping as many receipts as will fit to a piece of paper, and then entering them into an excel spreadsheet to categorize and total them so we know what and how much to deduct.

By the way, those of you with "normal" jobs probably don't have to do this, but since I work for several (and by several I mean 10+) companies as a freelance or self-employed producer, camera assistant, boom operator, musician, (and soon-to-be self-employed Hypnotherapist), I get to deduct a lot of expenses that go towards these various jobs. Geesh! Writing it out that way makes me realize how many random things I do. Don't worry, I don't work nearly as much as I used to. At one point it was 70+ hours a week. Now it varies from job to job. The last time I worked around 70 hours in a week was on a commercial last November. As much as I appreciate the work, I don't look forward to another job like that as I was doing logistics and that exhausts me way more than creative. These days I'm working more in creative or as a crew member which doesn't sit so heavily on my left brain (on "crew" I'm doing boom operating or lighting/camera and it's more hands-on). I also like creative because I get to (duh), be creative and usually interview people and that's fun for me since I tend to do that with people anyway. I suppose that's a large part of what I'll be doing in Hypnotherapy too. Humph. Makes sense. But I digress. Back to taxes.

So here's what I do. I watch movies while I'm processing my expenses. For the most part, I don't need to focus that hard on what I'm doing. A monkey could tape receipts to a piece of paper. Though they'd get bored, anything a monkey could do (I mean no disrespect, as I acknowledge fully the brain power and opposable thumbs of our primate cousins), I figure I can do while doing something else slightly more enjoyable.

Now I recommend doing these mind-less paperworky kinds of things with light-hearted movies, as taxes are usually not lighthearted for most people. Last year I remember watching "Enchanted" which is not only lighthearted, it's also silly and doesn't take a lot of concentration to get the plot. This year I've been watching romantic comedies that I might not have the attention-span or patience for watching without another thing to keep me busy. When in Rome (which honestly wasn't great but at least it gave me a little entertainment while doing my taxes), and I also throw in a little television too. I quite enjoy The Marriage Ref (on nbc/hulu - love dvr & watching shows online at my convenience), which is right up my alley since I'm developing a show on relationships, sex and food.

But maybe, just maybe, there's a bigger lesson than just realizing my adult-onset attention deficit disorder's need to watch movies and television while doing my taxes.

A dear friend reminded me recently of one of my favorite Zen teachings:
Before Enlightenment, chop wood carry water.
After Enlightenment, chop wood carry water. (link for more)

Are taxes like this? Am I becoming more enlightened or zoning out? I imagine most zen masters would say there isn't that much a difference because it's all part of my path to becoming more enlightened.

As much as I wish I could just enjoy things that I don't enjoy. I'm still growing in that arena. Really, the only difference between things we enjoy and don't enjoy is our association with them. Think about it. Folks into S&M (sadomasochism) enjoy very much things that would be painful or torture to other people. I wonder if anyone has a tax-fetish.

Hmmm.

But for now, I'm pleasuring myself with television and movies while doing paperwork and other menial activities at home (since I need both hands to do paperwork and housework - for all the perverts out there picking up my innuendo). 

Try it. Let me know how it goes.

More Interesting Katie Strand World Posts


New Music 
&
Posts
at
Katie Strand Music

No comments:

Post a Comment