Share |

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fast & Easy Hypoglycemia Test


Hi Everybody!

For those of you just tuning in, I'm doing a Kindness Fast right now. If you'd like to read the original blog to explain what the helena this is, just click on the words Kindness Fast.

Day 10. 

It's been a little easier now that I'm in the swing of it.

But holy goodness the first week was tough. I was having daily unkind meltdowns...

The meltdowns are obvious and though sometimes they feel necessary - especially as an emotional release - they mostly occur when I'm being very mean and hard on myself.

Other than the meltdowns, it's pretty astounding to realize how many times a day I am thinking and doing unkind things to myself. Oftentimes the unkindnesses are subtle.

For example, I think I might be a little hypoglycemic. 

According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine: 
Hypoglycemia is a condition that occurs when your blood sugar (glucose) is too low. Blood sugar below 70 mg/dL is considered low. Blood sugar at or below this level can harm you.
Symptoms you may have when your blood sugar gets too low include:
  • Double vision or blurry vision
  • Fast or pounding heartbeat
  • Feeling cranky or acting aggressive
  • Feeling nervous
  • Headache
  • Hunger
  • Shaking or trembling
  • Sweating
  • Tingling or numbness of the skin
  • Tiredness or weakness
  • Trouble sleeping
  • Unclear thinking
Sometimes your blood sugar may be too low, even if you do not have symptoms. If your blood sugar gets too low, you may:
  • Faint
  • Have a seizure
  • Go into a coma

I've never been diagnosed, but if I haven't eaten for a few hours (i.e. my blood sugar gets low), I become more irrational, cranky, aggressive, unclear, and sometimes even have headaches and dizziness. But more than any of that, I feel...well more homicidal than my regular, happy, thou shall not kill self.

Now this is supposed to be funny, folks, because there really is no danger in me wacking anybody, just a little disclaimer.

But it inspired me to share a fast and easy hypoglycemia test.

Question #1:
When I haven't eaten for 2 hours or more (excepting sleep), I oftentimes feel like killing my significant other (or in lieu of significant other, anyone near or speaking to me).

                                                 YES      or         NO

Question #2:
When I do eat again, within about 5 bites I cease feeling like I'm going to kill my significant other (or passerby), and in fact really like them again (become neutral or indifferent to said passerby).


                                                 YES      or         NO


If you answer YES to one or (hopefully) both questions, you suffer from a mild or severe form of hypoglycemia.

(Another disclaimer - I'm not an M.D., and am therefore not qualified or licensed to diagnose or treat illnesses, this is just a fluffy, opinion piece blog that is purely for entertainment!)



Bring snacks with you always! I'm partial to the raw macaroons as they have lots of protein and good fat (I love Laughing Giraffe Organic Pineapple Macadamia w/ Coconut & Cacao), but any organic protein that digests rather quickly should help you out.


What did we learn today boys and girls?


BRING SNACKS!!


Have a great Sunday, everyone.






No comments:

Post a Comment