Share |

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Long Leg, Small Face - Sojourn to Japan

In 2005 I took a trip half-way around the world and received my native name.

Like Stands With a Fist in Dances With Wolves, I did not pick my name. Rather it was given to me by the tribe I joined briefly in Japan...

My good friend Koko was teaching English to high school students in Osaka, and since I was on hiatus from my job at the time as Production Manager on a FOX television Managing show, I decided to visit Ms. Koko and see a little slice of Japan.

It was one of my favorite trips. We had so much fun. Here's one of the more memorable experiences.

As a musician and singer, I often sing for my supper, and/or basically do a little song and dance (without the dance if I can help it) while traveling, visiting or otherwise saying hello to friends. It's just something that has happened. Flattering and fun at best, annoying at worst, but on this particular trip, I was happy to play music at the school where Koko was teaching. Also, even when I don't feel like playing, I always end up loving it once I get going. For those who haven't tried it, singing and playing music is absolutely a natural high. Or maybe that's just me...

So I used the guitar Koko had, and I played and sang a few songs.

Well, apparently the kids liked it.

Remember, I'm 5'8" which is tallish in Japan. But there are certainly taller women than yours truly in the U.S. and especially in Los Angeles. But in Japan...

Several times they referred to me when speaking to each other about me or directly with me as long leg, small face.

It seems they were referring to my stature as well as the size of my face. Plurals seem to be optional with beginning English if Japanese is your first language, so "leg" (no s) was sufficient for a description. Also, I didn't realize my face was particularly small, in fact I think I have a rather strong jaw-line, but apparently, it was a compliment through and through.

So...my honorary Japanese name is Long Leg, Small Face.

Also worth noting, one 16-year-old kid came up to me and said, "please me." because he wanted to meet me. You see, sometimes they leave out the more complicated or hard to pronounce words like, "introduce," so he went with the simpler, "please me." After briefly smiling (Koko) and giggling (me), Koko promptly introduced me to this eager young fella.

Overall, the kids were very appreciative that I played music and shared my long legedness and small face-ity with them. I'd do it again in a heart-beat.

Though next time, I'll remember to accentuate my Long Legs, Small Face.

No comments:

Post a Comment