Share |

Friday, May 17, 2013

What would that look like?

This has been my favorite question lately.

What would that look like?

I use it when I'm being stubborn, or pissy, or irritated, or annoyed.

It helps me to fake it until I make it.

Anyone confused or unclear what the fuck I'm talking about?

Let me splain. There is no time. Let me sum up.

Lately I've been afraid about our pending move to Colorado - afraid about the money we're spending (investing) to set ourselves up to live on our land, afraid about the change, and then I come back to being afraid about the money.

So I ask myself, "what would it look like if I felt equanimity about this?"

I try to channel that image, that ideal scene about myself.

It puts me in a different state. Points me in the direction of the person I aspire to be.

Now, there's nothing wrong with who or what I am, but part of being me, part of what helps me to love life and feel engaged and connected is to grow and learn in who I am and how I am in the world.

Maybe a more tangible example will help clarify.

I did this yesterday while stand-up paddle-boarding. It was a particularly windy day and the wind-made waves were splashing on me as I was fighting both wave and wind to get back to the dock.

Every other time I've gone out in these kinds of conditions I become exhausted from the effort, but I also find myself cursing the wind for being so windy!

Now let me just tell you, cursing the wind is about as effective as yelling at a mountain to be shorter.

In the past I used to also stay standing 95% of the time - even though it's harder as it creates a larger surface area for the wind to blow against - counteracting all the vigorous paddling.

So when I asked myself what would it look like if I just enjoyed this - had a good time with it and approached it as a challenge instead of an annoyance?

Answer: I'd sit or kneel if that made the journey easier or more enjoyable. (Why am I trying to do things the hard way anyway!?!)

Answer: I'd enjoy the way it felt to exert, to paddle strong and feel my muscles burn.

Answer: I'd breathe to help give myself more paddling power, and I'd breathe to stay present and aware.

I was still exhausted at the end of paddling in, the headwind was at least 10 mph, but I wasn't even close to feeling as irritated as I had on previous paddling adventures.

So...

How about you?


What would it look like ___________________ ? (Fill in the blank with how you'd rather be or do things.)


Try it out & let me know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment